TV Peru on Saturday quoted a union leader as saying that the Las Bambas mine had ceased its activities on Friday because of protests that blocked roads at a nearby mine. The union leader at Las Bambas, Eric Romero, said. Ramos? Mr Runa said the company had decided to stop operations at the mine on Friday to ensure workers' safety as protests continued in connection with the imprisonment of leftist President Pedro Castillo last month and roads were blocked. Peru is the world's second largest copper producer. Last week there were reports of riots and cars being set ablaze at the Antapakil copper mine run by Glencore. Ramos added that a complete shutdown of Las Bambas was likely in the coming week.







