Apr 12, 2022 Leave a message

The Leader Of Guinea's Military Government Has Again Warned Mining Giants To Set Up Local Processing Plants And Share Revenues Equally.

In a video posted on Facebook, The head of Guinea's military government, Mamady Doumbouya, warned foreign mining companies to set up processing plants and share revenues equally with the country.


Doumbouya asked the two companies to submit proposals and a timetable for the construction of the bauxite smelter by the end of May.


Guinea has the world's largest reserves of bauxite, estimated at 7.4 billion tons, and is the second-largest producer of the mineral.


Bauxite is a mineral used to make aluminum, vital to the auto and food industries.


About half of China's bauxite needs come from Guinea.


It is well known that the benefits of mining bauxite or other rich natural resources, such as iron, gold and diamonds, remain uneven.


Experts point to a lack of investment in local economic development, a lack of essential infrastructure such as roads, endemic corruption and loopholes in existing laws. As a result, Guinea remains one of the poorest countries in the world, despite being rich in natural resources.


"Despite the boom in bauxite mining, we have to admit that expected revenues are lower than expected, and we cannot continue this stupid game that perpetuates huge inequality in our relations," Doumbouya said in the video.


Guinea bauxite has a number of active players, including Win Alliance (SMB), a consortium of Singapore-based Vallee International, Shandong Weiqiao and Yantai Port, as well as Russian aluminium companies Rusal and Rio Tinto and Chinalco of China.


The Bauxite project is the largest mining project in Guinea, supplying more than half of the total imports of bauxite to China every year. The smooth operation of the project is of great significance to the resource security of China's aluminum industry.


Mr Doumbouya said smelting bauxite in Guinea "is becoming inevitable, it is imperative and it cannot be delayed".


Doumbouya stressed that previous agreements between the Guinean government and different groups stipulated that smelting would be carried out locally, but those promises had not been fulfilled. The failure to respect these agreements was "invalid cause" and their application was "non-negotiable" for the government.


On March 27, The African mining circle reported in the article "Guinea's military government, Winning Alliance and Rio Tinto sign an agreement, Simandou Iron Ore Mine may Resume operation, vying for the right to transport minerals" : Guinea, the world's largest exporter of bauxite, has a law giving it the right to ship mining companies 50% of their bauxite exports, but that law has only now come into effect, government spokesman Ousmane Gaoual Diallo said in an emailed statement late Thursday.


Since taking power last year, guinea's military government has been negotiating and pressuring international mining giants around core interests such as Simandou iron ore, bauxite, railway construction and transportation rights, hoping to gain more benefits from the development of mineral resources.


Send Inquiry

whatsapp

skype

E-mail

Inquiry